2017-2018 Rotary Scholarship Guide
Rotary District 5450 sponsors two candidates each year for a Rotary Scholarship. These candidates are selected by the District, based on the requirements of the Rotary Foundation. After selecting a candidate, District 5450 assists the scholar in applying to the Rotary Foundation. Each candidate must be accepted by The Rotary Foundation in order to be eligible for the scholarship.
- October 1, 2016 - Prequalification Application Deadline
- October 29, 2016 - Complete Application Deadline
- December 3, 2016 - In-Person Interviews
The District will be reviewing and approving Prequalification Applications from September 2016 until October 1, 2016.If your Prequalification Application is approved, you will be invited to complete and submit a Complete Application no later than October 29, 2016, including the following accompanying documents:
- Complete Scholarship Application
- Personal Letter of Introduction
- Academic Transcript (s)
- Two Reference Letters Attesting to the Candidate’s Potential
District 5450 will not, in any circumstance, review incomplete applications nor waive the requirement for an in-person interview on December 3, 2016.Required Areas of FocusIn anticipation of The Rotary Foundation’s (TRF) 100-year anniversary in 2017, the TRF Trustees set out to develop a plan to move the foundation toward its second century of service. In 2013, Rotary implemented the plan to update the Foundation’s mission and create a more effective and efficient way to help Rotarians develop diverse projects with greater impact and sustainable outcomes. Foundation-funded programs must now be in one of six Areas of Focus in which they will have the greatest impact by addressing certain priority world needs.The Trustees modified the Rotary Scholarship program to align with this new plan as well. Candidates’ work experience, intended graduate studies and future career plans must all relate to one of the Areas of Focus as well.Rotary District 5450 sponsors two applicants each year for Rotary Scholarship. These candidates must also apply to the Rotary Foundation and be approved as a Rotary Scholar in order to be eligible for the scholarship. The Areas of Focus under this program are:
- Peace and Conflict Prevention/Resolution
- Disease Prevention and Treatment
- Water and Sanitation
- Maternal and Child Health
- Basic Education and Literacy
- Economic and Community Development
For more information on eligible fields of work and study, please see Areas of Focus-Elements of Successful Scholarships on the left.
Eligible candidates must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Demonstrated record of high academic achievement.
- Has (1) previous work experience (2) intended graduate degree studies; AND (3) future career plans, that are related to one of the 6 Areas of Focus established by Rotary International.
- Plans to enroll in a graduate level program commencing between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018 and expend the scholarship funds within 12 months of starting studies.
- Study institution must be located in a geographic area that has a Rotary presence. There are 34,000 Rotary clubs within 530 Rotary districts around the world. Despite this extensive reach, there are some parts of the world that do not have a formal Rotary presence due to security, safety or other issues. For further guidance, click:
- Will provide all required information for review and approval by Rotary International within two months of selection as a scholarship candidate.
- Is NOT (1) a Rotarian; (2) an employee of a club, district, or other Rotary entity, or of Rotary International; (3) the spouse, a lineal descendant (child or grandchild by blood or stepchild legally adopted or not), the spouse of a lineal descendant, or an ancestor (parent or grandparent by blood) of any person who has been in the foregoing two categories within the past three years.
- Currently works in, attends school in, or is a resident of District 5450 (which spans certain municipalities and counties in central and eastern Colorado, USA). For further guidance, see: http://www.clubrunner.ca/portal/Maps/ClubsMap.aspx?accountid=50085
- Has, or will have, sufficient funds to cover any expenses throughout the scholarship time that exceed US$30,000.
- Will endeavor to participate in a humanitarian project sponsored by the host Rotary club in the study region.
- Will attend an orientation and work with a designated Scholar mentor to prepare for the program before traveling.
- Agrees to report experiences no less than monthly on an Internet blog, throughout the scholarship period.
- Agrees to complete all required reports during and after the scholarship time.
- Agrees to make a presentation about the scholarship experience to at least 2 Rotary clubs within 1 year after the completion of the scholarship program.
- If the scholar returns to reside in District 5450 after the scholarship, agrees to support future programs by serving on the Rotary District 5450 Scholarship Committee for at least one year.